Jelly and Custard POPSICLES


In South Africa, where I grew up, a traditional dessert after Sunday lunch would be: jelly & custard.. sometimes with added whipped cream and sliced fruit (fresh or canned)..

En Sudáfrica, donde crecí, un postre tradicional para después de la comida del domingo tiene gelatina y natilla.. A veces con crema batida y fruta troceada (fresca o en almíbar)..



So I thought why not make this into a Popsicle?! Did some research on freezing jelly.. tested how custard would freeze and I´m happy to say it works out perfectly but the key..

Así que pensé porqué no hacer esto en un Polo?! Hice algunas investigaciones sobre la congelación de la gelatina .. probé cómo congelar las natillas y estoy feliz de decir que funciona perfectamente, pero la clave ..





..is the sliced strawberries I added to the molds before adding the jelly.. I loved the texture and tartness it added to this Popsicle.. Frozen fruit is my new thing!

.. es que las fresas estén troceadas las cuales añadí a los moldes antes de añadir la gelatina .. Me encantó la textura y la acidez que añade a estos Polos .. La fruta congelada es mi nueva cosa!


Jelly & Custard
POPSICLES


¡Clic aquí para ver/imprimir la receta en Español!


Ingredients:


  • 1 pack strawberry/raspberry jelly made with only ½ liquid
  • homemade/store bought custard (cooled)
  • diced strawberries
  • popsicle sticks
  • popsicle molds


Method:


Dice your strawberries and put 4 - 6 pieces into your popsicle molds. Mix your pack of jelly with only the hot water as directed on the pack (i.e. only half the liquid, don´t add the cold water afterwards). Strain your jelly to ensure there is no foam. Cool it slightly at room temp and then add to your pre-pared molds. I filled mine ⅔. Leave to set for 10minutes just until your popsicle stick is able to stand upright. Leave to set further in your freezer until nearly set, now add the custard and freeze overnight if possible.
These popsicles tend to stick (because of the jelly) to the mold but just keep it under hot running water until it pops out!
ENJOY.. :-) :-)


I was very suprised when I realised the texture of the jelly was exactly the same as if it wasn´t frozen, not sure why but I thought that the freezing process might change the elasticity/texture of the jelly but it didn´t and at first it was kinda weird but the more I bit into it, the more it brought me back to my childhood, the more I liked it, the more I craved for another bite of the sourness of the frozen strawberries.. :-)

Me quedé muy sorprendida cuando me di cuenta de que la textura de la gelatina era exactamente la misma que tenía antes de congelarse, no sé porqué, pero me pareció que el proceso de congelación podría cambiar la elasticidad / textura de la gelatina, pero no fue así y, al principio era un poco extraña, pero cuanto más lo mordía, más me llevaba a mi infancia, más me gustaba, más ansiaba para otro bocado con esa acidez de las fresas congeladas .. :-)



Definitely give this a try, and the key is to experiment with flavours :-) If you guys don´t follow me yet on INSTAGRAM herewith the link as I regularly post photos there with sneak previews of what you can expect here on my blog :-)

Sin duda denle una oportunidad, y la clave es experimentar con sabores :-) Si ustedes no me siguen todavía en INSTAGRAM adjunto el enlace ( link ) donde publico regularmente fotos con el pre-estreno de lo que se puede esperar ver en mi blog: -)



I have a few exciting posts planned for the next week.. I hope to get the photos taken, edited and posts written quickly so that I can share it with all of you whom I see as my friends.. It´s super rewarding to share what you love with people that love the same things as you do :-)

Tengo un par de posts interesantes planeados para la próxima semana .. espero encontrar las fotos que saqué, editarlas y escribir algunos mensajes rápidos para poder compartirlos con todos vosotros a quien veo como mis amigos .. Es súper gratificante compartir lo que te gusta con la gente que aman las mismas cosas que tú haces :-)



Labels: